Monday, January 25, 2010

Hate

You know what? Today's word is hate. Hate is something so frequently said, I'd actually reference the previous blog about the word "forever", and say it falls in the same category.

Dictionary.com defines hate as a verb meaning 1] to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest, 2] to be unwilling; dislike. It is also a noun that means the same thing.

Hate. You probably say it without even thinking about it. "I hate this dress", " I hate the way my boyfriend treats me", "I hate the way he talks", "I hate my professor", hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. It's all around us. "I hate this war", "I hate the people who performed 9/11".

Hate. It even sounds good. Hate. It's a harsh word that just bites at you. You hear "hate" and even if you don't know what it means, I think you'd know that it wasn't something good. Hate. It rolls off the tongu. Hate. You hate things you don't know, you hate things you haven't tried in a long time.

Me? I hate peas. They're nasty. I like them raw, I like them in the pod, and I like wasabi peas, but I hate cooked peas. They're nasty to me. They taste like vomit. I haven't eaten peas since I was probably around five or six years old. I don't really know if I still hate them or if I just hate them with my five or six year old memory of hating them.

Hate. When you hate something, do you really mean you HATE it? Or do you just mean that you don't particularly care for it? Today, it was raining. I walked through a small river/ocean to get to class. My shoes filled with puddles and I was a sewer rat. It was bad, no joke. I got to class and sat down and said to the girl next to me, "I hate the rain." But it's not true. I don't hate the rain. I actually like rain. Warm rain in the summer is my favorite. Rain gives life to all we know on earth. Without rain... everything as we know it would die. Life would cease to exist. I don't hate the rain. I don't even hate being caught in it. I disliked having to walk to class in it. I disliked not having proper footwear, and I definitly disliked the fact that I had to sit in class smelling like a wet dog for two hours, but I don't hate the rain.

Hate. It's a great word. I love the word hate. But remember. Hate is easy. Love takes courage.

0 comments: